Ahhhhhh – Jamaica!! With its impressive beaches, wonderful food, never ending supply of great places to stay and the wonderful welcoming people you meet at every turn, it’s hard to pick a place to call home base for your travels on and around the island.
Ten (10) miles east of the town of Ocho Rios and only 5 minutes away from the Ian Fleming International Airport in Boscobel, you will find Beaches Ocho Rios Resort and Spa. This resort boasts an impressive 22 acre spread with 223 rooms and suites in just about any shape and size to fit most families needs.
One of the most important points for families trying to decide which resort fits their wants & needs for their family vacation, is food choices. Kids, as we all know can be very picky eaters but adults can be just as discerning.
Fortunately, Sandals & Beaches Resorts have a program called Discovery Dining where guests have the opportunity to discover and experience new and diverse cuisines every day from every corner of the planet.
We had the opportunity to stay at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort and Spa earlier this year where we sat down with one of their very best, Mr. Miguel Forrest at Josephine’s Creperie.
1. How long have you worked at Beaches Ocho Rios?
I have been working here just over 2 ½ years now.
2. Where are you from originally?
I am originally from Oracabessa, St. Mary where I still reside.
3. Where can you normally be found on property and what are your day to day responsibilities?
I can normally be found at Josephine’s Creperie. My day to day responsibilities include ordering, checking and prepping all ingredients that will be needed to make my authentic French crepes and delicious desserts. I work closely with my team members and we order and prep for each in true team spirit.
4. What is your official title at Beaches Ocho Rios?
I am a Grade 3 Cook.
5. What’s your favorite or most popular Crepe to make and what’s in it?
That would be Nutella Banana with a splash of Baileys; this is so because oftentimes guests return to the counter just to say how lovely it was. It is made using hazelnut spread, ripe bananas, Baileys Rum Cream served with a topping of whip cream and a cherry on top. The resort also caters to guests with special dietary needs. I even make gluten free crepes!!
6. Do you work at any of the special events.
Yes, sometimes I do. I work wherever I am assigned. I love doing special events such as returning guest functions or travel agents functions because I get the chance to interact more with guests and to serve something different for them to enjoy. I also use the opportunity to tell them about my crepes as well.
7. Beaches Ocho Rios sits in the heart of some of the best water & land based excursions on the northern coastline of Jamaica and you probably get questions from guests all the time about things to do. These days, many travelers are looking for unique & authentic experiences on and off the resort but what are some of the other things you recommend to guests that they should check out while in the Ocho Rios area?
The Island Routes desk here on property makes that really easy for me as they have already handpicked some of the best tours in the area. There is so much to name, my favorites are:- Dunn’s River Waterfalls by boat, swimming with the dolphins, the Sandals Foundation Reading Road Trip and the Mystic Mountain tour.
8. Most people’s lives are very busy these days and when on vacation, sometimes people like to cut loose a bit and have fun. What’s the silliest / craziest thing you have seen at Beaches Ocho Rios?
My colleague made a crepe for a couple , they were happy and came to the counter asking for the chef to come outside and take a picture with them. The wife was about to take the picture when the husband scooped and lifted my colleague for the pictures. What was really funny, they were almost the same size and he had a big challenge holding up the chef with his arms and knee for the picture, while everyone laughed.
9. One thing we never have enough of, is quality time just being together with our families. What are some of the things that you see families enjoying together while on property?
There are so many things I see family enjoying together. Some are:
· dressing up in the evenings and taking pictures to make a family album
· families dancing with their children at the Sesame Street Stage Show and our Sesame Street Parade
· swimming and competing with the children at the waterpark
· Private candlelight dinners on the beach.
10. What are some of your favorite times of the year down at Beaches Ocho Rios and why?
Some of my favorite times would be:-
· Summer – allows for much more activities and interaction with the guests
· Christmas because the property is all dressed up with lights, music and creates a festive and happy mood for all.
· Reunion Week – the time to see most of my little guests and adult guests who return. Time to catch up on what each other have been doing.
11. What are a couple of your most memorable experiences working at Beaches Ocho Rios?
Most memorable experiences working at Beaches Ocho Rios:-
· Going out on Sandals Foundation off property activities and giving back to the community
· For my guests to come back to the counter to say thanks for a delicious crepe.
· When my guests call me the ‘Crepe Master’.
12. Why should someone who is considering a trip to Beaches Ocho Rios, but not quite sure yet, come there?
Everyone should come to Beaches Ocho Rios because it is the #1 Family Luxury All-Inclusive Resort. There is something for everyone to do from kids camp, Xbox®, waterpark, beach, watersports activities, day time and night time activities and nightly shows.
There is also an option of six restaurants to choose from and many bars. Most importantly, we the team members are the most friendly and professional staff to be found on island.