Recently, we traveled to Mexico to one of our favorite resorts in the Cancun hotel zone, the Hard Rock Cancun.
At Hard Rock Cancun, you will find wide white sand beaches, gorgeous blue water, outstanding service and excellent food choices – all included at no extra charge!. Hard Rock Cancun is different in many ways but one of the best parts, is their incorporation of music as a main theme for the resort. From DJ’s spinning the latest tunes to live bands playing classic rock at poolside that many of us have grown up with, there is something here for everyone!
Top shelf liquor is also included with the package price and for many guests, the bartender is one of the single most important people on the property because the bartender in many ways, sets the tone for the vacation. They play a critical role for beverage enthusiasts!
While at the Hard Rock Cancun, we had the opportunity to sit down with one of our favorite Bartenders, Angel “Oso” Perez and asked him a few questions about himself & his bartending philosophy, Hard Rock Cancun and the surrounding area.
- How long have you worked at Hard Rock Cancun?
Angel – 10 years – long before Hard Rock. I started here back when it was Cancun Palace.
- Where are you from originally?
Angel – I am originally from Mexico City. I moved to Cancun after Hurricane Wilma.
- What is your official title at Hard Rock Cancun?
Angel – I am a Bartender here on property.
4. Where can you normally be found on property and what are your day to day responsibilities?
Angel – I work all the bars. They have us on a rotating schedule. Last week I was at the bar inside Zen. This week, I am working the Float Pool Bar near the beach. I perform all bartender duties.
- What’s your favorite / signature drink to make and what’s in it?
Angel – One of my favorites is called “Tequila Locha” or you could call it the “Angel Special” You will have to come and see me and I will make it for you. The Angel Special contains Tequila, Rum, Lime Juice, Simple Syrup and Orange Juice! (Editors Note – it was very good and we highly recommend it!)
5. How would you define your approach to make the guests happy behind the bar?
Angel – Mainly, I love my job. I give guests 100 percent, get their drink fast and keep the guests happy. I also remember what they are drinking!
6. Is it important for you to add your touch to the cocktails you create? If so, how do you go about doing so?
Angel – A properly made drink has to have a good, balanced combination of quality ingredients. I use skills I have learned over the years to create that combination. I also like to straw-taste check it in the mixing tin before it makes it to my customer. Many times, my customers are unsure of what they want and are wanting to try something new. I can narrow it down by asking if they like their drinks sweet or strong.
7. What spirit or cocktail plays an underdog role at your bar (one that you wish people would order more of or ask more about)?
Angel – X’tabentun from San Marino. It is made of Anise and infused with honey. It has taste hints similar to Sambucca and it comes from Yucatán.
8. Do you work at any of the special events?
Angel – I work several of the special events such as Concerts, the grand opening & wherever I am needed.
9. Hard Rock Cancun sits in the heart of some of the best water & land based excursions in the area and you probably get questions from guests all the time about things to do. These days, many travelers are looking for unique & authentic experiences on and off the resort but what are some of the other things you recommend to guests that they should check out while in the Cancun / Riviera Maya area?
Angel – Isla Mujeres is an island very close by where you can go zip lining. There is also the lagoon where you can take a tour by boat. Or, you can go for a night out at one of the local clubs like Coco Bongo.
10. Most peoples lives are very busy these days and when on vacation, sometimes people like to cut loose a bit and have fun. What’s the silliest / craziest thing you have seen at Hard Rock Cancun so far?
Angel – At Hard Rock Cancun, the guests really get into the crazy games the entertainment team puts on. Guests really get into the live bands by the pool and it makes for a great party all the time. Sometimes we also see guests sort of stressed from long flights or their work back home when they first get here. It’s nice to see them after just 2 hours on property when their stress melts away and they are having a blast!
11. One thing we never have enough of, is quality time just being together with our families. What are some of the things that you see families enjoying together while on property at Hard Rock Cancun?
Angel – Mainly, its the togetherness families get to experience here on property. I see them playing games together, enjoying the foam party, the nightly shows and getting all dressed up for dinner together and just reconnecting.
12 -What are some of your favorite times of the year down at Hard Rock Cancun and why?
Angel – I really enjoy spring break. It’s a very fun time. I also like Christmas time when there is more family.
13 -What are a couple of your most memorable experiences working at Hard Rock Cancun?
Angel – There was a time when a couple guests came down and they made sure to be where ever I happened to be working that week. On the last day, I found out that one of them was Miesha Tate, a famed MMA boxer. We also have had guests such as basketball players from the Rapters, many soccer players, Snoop Dogg. But I like to point out, everyone who sits at my bar is a Rock Star!
14 -Why should someone who is considering a trip to Hard Rock Cancun, but not quite sure yet, come there?
Angel – At Hard Rock Cancun, we have something for everyone. We have a Kids Club for the little ones, Live Music, Music labs, cooking classes and tons of entertainment for the whole family.
15 -Is there anything else you can add or want people to know about Hard Rock Cancun?
Angel – This is a different kind of resort, very different than others. Hard Rock Cancun has something going all the time. It is a different kind of energy where there is music and people are happy. All the employees can be themselves which is very nice. Please come down, sit at my bar & let me take great care of you.
Thanks Angel – we had a blast hanging out with you for the week and we cant wait to make it back down again!
For more information about the Hard Rock Cancun and to book your trip, contact Island Breeze Travel today at email@example.com or 517-917-0510. Never a fee to book with us – our services are free to you!!